Why Income Protection Cover?
People don’t always see the need for Income Protection Cover. There’s a common expectation that the Government and employers will look after people financially if they become ill and unable to work.
In reality, government benefits won't cover most people and help them pay bills while maintaining their family’s lifestyle. Additionally, very few people actually receive sick pay from their employers for more than six months, let alone for more than a year.
Our 5-star rated Income Protection Cover can help by offering your clients a tax-free monthly income payment if they are unable to work because of illness, injury or disability. We help to ensure their monthly outgoings are covered and offer additional benefits to help them recover and settle back into work.
- The average UK family could survive financially for 18 days if they were to lose their income1
- The average UK family spends £517 every week on things like housing, transport and food2
- The State Employment and Support Allowance pays up to £109 per week3
- At VitalityLife, we’ve paid out over £1 million in Income Protection claims since 2009 - 20164.
Five reasons to recommend our award winning cover
Our Income Protection Cover has many unique features. Find out more.
More certainty around premiums and benefit amount
Extra protection when it is needed most
We have a unique back to work benefit
We help your clients to stay healthy
We have a strong underwriting philosophy
All about our Income Protection Cover
About Income Protection Cover
To cater for different needs and budgets, we have three levels of Income Protection cover for your clients to choose from including Comprehensive Cover or Primary Cover. We also have Short Term Income Protection Cover which makes protecting your clients income more affordable. Not only that, we have additional covers and options available for your clients to include on their Income Protection Cover policy, such as Family Income Cover.
Comprehensive Cover provides a market leading range of benefits and innovative features making it one of the few products with a Defaqto 5-star rating.
- It protects 60% of your clients gross income for the first £30k per annum and 50% thereafter
- If your client becomes permanently disabled, we’ll increase their benefit by 10% to reflect the greater impact on their lifestyle.
Primary Cover offers excellent protection and added benefits, as well as being highly competitive on price.
Short Term Income Protection a cheaper alternative which covers your client for a maximum of two years off work. Find out more about Short Term Income Protection in the next tab.
Download our Types of Cover adviser sales aid.
Our unique Back to Work benefit:With our Back to Work benefit your clients can receive a cash bonus on top of their normal salary after they start working again. No other provider in the market offers this kind of support.
We also offer Recovery Benefit where we can give your clients up to £2,000 of specialist care and support to help them get better and restore their lifestyle.
Big White Wall:
Mental health issues are an increasing problem for the UK workforce and this is why our Income Protection now provides access to Big White Wall, an online service that provides a forum for people experiencing mental health issues to reach out and receive support from qualified ‘Wall Guides’. It also provides avenues for creative outlet and courses for awareness and management of a wide range of mental illness conditions.
Short Term Income ProtectionShort Term Income Protection Cover makes protecting your clients income more affordable. If your clients become incapacitated while covered, we’ll pay a monthly income for up to two years if they are unable to do their job because of illness or injury.
To help your find out more about our Short Term Income Cover, we have collated a range of FAQs to make it easier for you.
Download our Short Term Income Protection FAQs.
Not only that, we've created a case study about Tom, a 30 year old accountant living in London, to give you a great example of how our Short Term Income Protection works.
Download our Short Term Income Protection Case Study.
Additional cover and optionsYour clients have the ability to include additional cover and options on their Income Protection policy.
Family Income Cover:
- Family Income Cover helps your clients pay for their family's living costs if something happens to them.
- Indexation enables your client's cover to increase each year with no further underwriting. It means their cover is protected against rises in the cost of living, making sure your clients have cover they need now and in the future.
Healthy Living OptionsWith Vitality your clients can save money from day one with our Vitality programme. They will get access to a range of discounts and rewards from selected Vitality partners. They may also be eligible for an upfront discount or the opportunity to earn cashback. We have options to suit everyone's needs and budget.
Find out more
Why should you speak to your clients about Income Protection Cover?
The benefits for your clients
- We offer a guaranteed insurability option – greater flexibility to increase their cover to suit their needs
- We’ll automatically waive their Income Protection Cover premiums if we’re paying a claim
- Your clients have the option to automatically increase their cover each year in line with the retail prices index (up to 10% per annum).
Not just good for your clients
The benefits for you
- Our cover is 5-Star Defaqto rated
- We pay out from seven days of receiving a claim, giving greater financial security for your self-employed clients
- We offer contractors a level of benefit that reflects their contract earnings, giving them the maximum allowable income amount
- We offer a deferred period option for NHS doctors. It is designed to automatically change in line with the NHS sick pay structure. Find out more.
Where to next?
Additional cover and options
Explore our additional covers and options that allow you to tailor your client's protection plan
Life Cover pays a lump sum cash payment if your client dies or is diagnosed with a terminal illness
Personal Protection Literature
We have a range of assets available for download making it even easier for you to do business with us
or call 0808 234 3000
Lines are open:
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 6pm
Friday 8.30am - 5pm
1 The Telegraph, 2013
2 ONS, 2014
3 Gov.co.uk. 2017
4 Vitality Claims Data, 2017