Our Serious Illness Cover just got more serious
Unlike typical critical illness cover, our Serious Illness Cover pays your client on a severity based approach. This means that our cover provides a payout proportionate to the severity of a condition.
With advances in medical technology and screening processes, we recognise that conditions are being caught sooner. These early stage illnesses may not be eligible for a payment with another provider, but we know that they can still cause stress and often lead to time being taken off work.
If your client needs to claim for a condition that does not use up their full cover amount, they will still have cover available. So if their condition worsens, or they suffer with a different condition, they'll be able to can claim again and again, until they've used up the full amount.
- Your clients are up to 3 times more likely to get a payout with us1
- 116% more likely to get a payout for cancer with us2
- 34% more likely to get a payout for a heart attack with us2
- 25% more likely to get a payout for a stroke with us.2
How does Serious Illness Cover compare?
We've enhanced our Serious Illness Cover, try our Conditions Covered tool and find out more.
Typical Critical Illness Cover
Around 48 conditions* are covered by typical Critical Illness Cover policies. *Defaqto verified, February 2017
All about our Serious Illness Cover
About Serious Illness CoverTo cater for different needs and budgets, we have two levels of cover for your clients to choose from: Comprehensive Cover or Primary Cover. Not only that, there are a range of additional covers and options available for your clients to include on their Serious Illness Cover plan.
Comprehensive Cover gives your clients cover for 178 conditions. With Comprehensive Cover, conditions are covered from Severity A (100% payout) to Severity G (5% payout). Cancer Relapse Benefit is now included as standard.
Primary Cover covers your clients for 145 conditions and is a more affordable option. With Primary Cover, conditions are covered from Severity A (100% payout) to Severity E (15% payout).
Both of these levels of cover are available with the VitalityLife Plan or the Essentials Plan. With our Essentials Plan, it does not include some benefits such as Guaranteed Insurability which makes it more affordable.
How does severity work?We’re able to cover a broader range of conditions than our competitors because we use severity based payments that reflect the impact an illness has on your client’s lifestyle.
Download our Severity Payments client sales aid.
Serious Illness Cover in actionWe pay out for less severe conditions as well as the more critical ones. If you client lost sight in both eyes, we’d pay out, just like a typical insurer, but we understand that it’s not just the most severe form of a condition that affects people’s lives, so we also pay out a percentage of the cover amount for things that aren’t as severe. So if your client lost their sight in one eye, they would still get a payment with us of 15% of their cover amount, and they’d still be covered with the remainder of their cover.
Watch Phil's Serious Illness Cover claims story to see how our award-winning cover really does make a difference to people's lives.
What does Serious Illness Cover include?Our Serious Illness Cover includes Family Benefit and Core Serious Illness Cover for Children.
Family Benefit:• Family Benefit provides a unique combination of benefits.
• It provides a cash lump sum pay out for specified Complications of Pregnancy, specified Congenital Conditions and also, a contribution to the cost of a funeral following the death of a child.
Download our Family Benefit adviser sales aid.
Core Serious Illness Cover for Children:• If your client takes out a VitalityLife plan, our Core Serious Illness Cover for Children pays a lump sum if their child suffers from a serious illness that we cover.
• This feature is not available with the Essentials plan.
Cancer Relapse Benefit:
- With Comprehensive cover, Cancer Relapse Benefit is included automatically. Cancer Relapse Benefit is no longer available as an option, so this benefit is not available on new Primary cover plans
- Cancer Relapse Benefit pays a lump sum benefit if your client is diagnosed with a relapse of cancer and make a subsequent claim under the cancer body system category
- It provides your clients with more protection against cancer recurrence by paying out an additional 50% for subsequent cancers.
Additional cover and optionsYour clients have the ability to include our additional cover and options with their Serious Illness Cover.
Optional Serious Illness Cover for Children - special offer:
Right now we’re offering £20,000 worth of Serious Illness Cover for Children on all Indexed Policies with Vitality Plus. Until the end of June 2018, we're giving your clients Optional Serious Illness Cover for Children (OSICC) for two plans, at no extra cost. Find out more about this offer.
- Optional Serious Illness Cover for Children offers up to £100,000 of extra cover.
- This option is available with the VitalityLife and the Essentials plans.
- Additional peace of mind for parents if their child develops a serious illness.
- Top up after a claim.
- Protected Cover works by safeguarding your client’s future with 100% automatic reinstatement cover, so cover continues after a claim.
- They can reinstate their cover to the lesser of three times the original Serious Illness Cover amount, or £3,000,000.
Serious Illness Cover Booster:If receiving 100% payments is important to your clients, they can choose to add Serious Illness Cover Booster. This gives them the best of both worlds – severity based payments across a much wider range of conditions, meaning more chance of a payout. We also boost the payouts to 100-200% of the cover amount for the more critical conditions, in line with other providers.
- Covers a much wider range of conditions
- Serious Illness Cover Booster gives even more help coping with the long-term effects of some serious illnesses.
- For some long-term conditions, we’ll pay out more - between 100% and 200% of the cover amount.
Healthy Living OptionsYour clients have the opportunity to include one of our Healthy Living Options with Serious Illness Cover.
Wellness OptimiserYour clients can get all of our discounts and rewards with an even larger upfront discount. Suitable for those who want to monitor their health and engage in a healthy lifestyle.
Find out more
Vitality OptimiserYour clients can get all of our discounts and rewards with an upfront discount on our award-winning cover.
Find out more
Vitality PlusYour clients access to all our partner rewards and is an excellent option for those looking to engage in our healthy living programme without future annual premium changes.
Find out more about our Healthy Living Options.
Why should you speak to your clients about Serious Illness Cover?
The benefits for your clients
- If your client suffers with one of the conditions we cover, we pay them a cash lump sum
- The payout is based on how severe their condition is - from 5% to 100% of cover amount
- They can claim more than once if they have cover left over.
Not just good for your clients
The benefits for you
- We've reduced the risk of having to tell your clients that their insurance won’t pay out – they’re 3x more likely to get a payout with us
- Our cover is 5-star Defaqto rated
- Your clients can engage with their cover giving you the opportunity to speak to them regularly about their protection needs.
Where to next?
Additional cover and options
Explore our additional covers and options that allow you to tailor your client's protection plan
Life Cover pays a lump sum cash payment if your client dies or is diagnosed with a terminal illness
Personal Protection Literature
We have a range of assets available for download making it even easier for you to do business with us
or call 0808 234 3000
Lines are open:
Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 6pm
Friday 8.30am - 5pm
1) Estimates are based on Hannover Re UK Life Branch’s interpretation of the general population incidence rates and their estimated view of future trends. Incidence rates for the entire population may be different to those lives that take out life insurance products.
2) The typical critical illness product is a mid-market one and covers most conditions seen in the market
3) Vitality Life estimates are based on the Vitality Life Plan with Comprehensive SIC
These estimates are for information only and are based on Hannover Re UK Life Branch’s analysis of statistical data. Hannover Re UK Life Branch accepts no liability for any reliance placed upon these estimates and any use of the analysis is the sole responsibility of the user.2 Hannover Re UK Life Branch February 2017, comparison versus ABI Statement of Best Practice 2014.
3 Defaqto as of April 2018